…This odd ‘collecting’ obsession with rare, limited edition & bespoke cars.
Being intrigued by the nature of a car that is different. Not the standard ‘fleet/lease’ approved spec, but more the ‘retired/sold up’ I’m having what I want specification. If it’s different in some way, with a great colour or odd one, then that’s good… The number of times I must have said: “Different Spec” or “Rare Spec” is beyond me!
The intention is to hopefully show cars that you never knew existed. To give accurate figures for how many are made and to hopefully learn a few editions I never knew existed, with your help…
Here’s the kind of thing;
- The car has to be an official UK approved vehicle by the factory.
- Low Volume Sales vehicle, either ‘didn’t sell well’ or Limited Edition.
- Ideally less than 50 as a total produced number.
- A one-off vehicle for an interesting reason…
- A special order colour or specification variation.
- It doesn’t have to be a million-pound car…
There are a couple of other entries that will be included as we go along. More about that later.
This whole ‘Unique Special Order Limited Edition Bespoke One-Off’ tag is unfortunately now quite common ground. I should have done the site years ago before the band-wagon set-off but it’s here now and there’s certainly a lot more interesting cars to be searched and talked about. I’ve been collecting ‘Spec’ & ‘Rare Cars’ for around 30 years now. Do follow on Instagram for more interesting cars.
Ok, interesting vehicles then;
- Range Rover has a wonderful history with interesting editions. The Holland & Holland, Harrods Edition, CSK, Autobiography, Chromaflair Paints, Braemer, Ultimate Edition, H&H2015 edition, Anniversary, Overfinch etc… One of their ultimate vehicles that encapsulate the whole site is the 1999 Range Rover Linley. It has an incredible history of quirks and remained the most expensive Range Rover until the Ultimate Edition in 2011.
- Only 6 were ever made worldwide. Read it here RANGE ROVER LINLEY
- Mercedes AMG ‘Black Series‘. From the SLK, CLK, SL & SLS – All these in total UK sales don’t exceed more than 40 cars. Also many other variations including Designo and early AMG.
- Porsche and it’s many, many variations of the Marque are intriguing. The GT & RS editions, Speedster, SportClassic, Anniversary, Slant-nose, Turbo S versions and Exclusive & Paint to Sample (PTS) editions.
- Jaguar /Daimler has various editions of interest. XKR Anniversary, XKR-GT, Insignia Editions, TWR, R, & LWB Editions etc
- BMW / Alpina well these know how to do a good limited edition… Many variations included… M5 LE, B3 GTS, 30 Jahre, 25th Anniversary, GTS, DTM editions etc…
- Bentley / Rolls Royce – This is a tricky one as most Bentleys are fairly rare and certainly special. The more featured ones are Continental R, T, SC editions, Arnage T-24, Mulliner, Special Commission, Le Mans, Brooklands Mulliner, Birkin, Arnage Final Series and many others.
And then the rest… Aston Martin, Bristol, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Honda, TVR, Lancia, Lotus, Renault, Peugeot, ABARTH, Mitsubishi, Audi, Noble and on & on…
A list I guess that will never end as the new cars keep coming out… but keeping a register of the rare ones and having a quick look site for accurate facts & figures is the aim.
PLEASE KEEP POPPING BACK TO SEE THE UPDATES, WHICH ARE COMING EVERY WEEK!